Sunday, September 13, 2009

Jury Duty

It's one thing writing stories about lawyers, but it's a whole new ballgame when you get picked to sit on a jury. I have friends and relatives who never get selected to serve. As for me. my track record is quite different. Three for three.

The first jury I was selected to serve on was settled out of court. It was a frivolous lawsuit if you ask me. A couple was going through a bitter divorce. The husband went back to the house to collect some of his personal items and the dog, who had been awarded to the wife, bit him. He then sued the woman for aggravated assault.

The second case concerned two dentists. First off, I dislike going to the dentist. The sound of a dentist's drill causes the little hairs on the back of my neck to jitterbug. One had bought the practice from the other and they were squabling about it. After waiting around for a week or so, the jury was dismissed because it would take another few weeks for a particular witness to be able to testify. They decided it more be less costly to empanel a new jury.

This one is a second-degree murder case. We'll see what happens with this one.

0 comments:

 
Candy Caine's Corner © 2008 Template by Exotic Mommie Illustration by Dapina